Intro to Medical Resource

This section provides students with medical resources including local hospitals, Public Health clinics, Community Health Centers, Mental Health and Addictions Services offered in Ontario.

For all medical, fire or police emergencies, dial call 9-1-1

Not sure which medical service you should use; hospital, walk-in clinic or home care? Call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 to speak directly with a registered nurse who can advise self care, recommend a visit to a health practitioner or, give you the phone numbers of community resources nearest you.

The Telehealth Ontario service is provided in English and French, with translation support for other languages and a direct TTY number for those with hearing and speech difficulties. Callers can also be connected to medication information and health information audiotapes.

Need a doctor?

Health Care Connect is a program launched by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to help Ontarians without a family health care provider find one
The program refers people without a regular family health care provider to physicians and nurse practitioners who are accepting new patients in their community.
If you don’t have a provider you can register for the Health Care Connect program by calling 1-800-445-1822 or learn more about this program by visiting them online at

Looking for a Healthcare Provider?

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario offers an online doctor search where students can search for information about family physicians, including their practice addresses, telephone numbers, qualifications and whether they are accepting new patients.

To find a doctor, call 416-967-2603 or visit the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario on-line at

Through the Ontario Dental Association students can obtain information about oral health, dental procedures and find a find a dentist by calling the association at 416-922-3900 or by visiting them on-line at

Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)

A resident of Ontario must have a health card to show that he or she is entitled to health care services paid for by OHIP. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care pays for a wide range of services, however, it does not pay for services that are not medically necessary, such as cosmetic surgery.
Most of your Ontario health benefits are covered across Canada. The province or territory you are visiting will usually bill the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care directly for hospital and physician services.
For more information on eligibility and to learn where to apply for or replace your health card visit them online at


The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is committed to a strong, stable, publicly-funded hospital system that efficiently provides high-quality patient services through a system of mixed hospital types and funding methods.
Ontario has four different hospital types including Public Hospitals, Private Hospitals, Federal Hospitals, and Cancer Care Ontario Hospitals.
To find the nearest hospital near you, visit

Community Health Centres (CHC’s)

Community Health Centres are non-profit organizations that provides primary health and health promotion programs for individuals, families and communities. A health centre is established and governed by a community-elected board of directors.
CHCs work with individuals, families and communities to strengthen their capacity to take more responsibility for their health and wellbeing. They provide education and advice on helping families access the resources they need from other community agencies. CHCs work together with others on health promotion initiatives within schools, in housing developments, and in the workplace. They link families with support and self-help groups that offer peer education, support in coping, or are working to address conditions that affect health. As such, the Community Health Centre Program contributes to the development of healthy communities.

CHCs' health promotion programs that contribute to child and family health include:
• domestic violence prevention/treatment including direct counseling, addictions counseling, conflict resolution, anger management, stress management, self-esteem enhancement;
• parenting education, both individual and group, to improve healthy child development;
• parent-child resource rooms and drop-ins;
• anti-racist initiatives and other programs to promote tolerance, cultural diversity and acceptance of minority groups;
• education, counseling and groups related to weight/body image issues, peer relationships, healthy sexuality;
• programs for teen mothers.

To find the nearest Community Health Centre near you, visit

Public Health Units

A Public Health Unit is an official health agency established by a group of urban and rural municipalities to provide a more efficient community health program, carried out by full-time, specially qualified staff.
There are 36 public health units in Ontario. Health units administer health promotion and disease prevention programs to inform the public about healthy life-styles, communicable disease control including education in STDs/AIDS, immunization, food premises inspection, healthy growth and development including parenting education, health education for all age groups and selected screening services.
Each health unit is governed by a board of health, which is an autonomous corporation under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, and is administered by the medical officer of health who reports to the local board of health. The board is largely made up of elected representatives from the local municipal councils. The ministry cost-shares the expenses with the municipalities.
To find the nearest Public Health Unit near you, visit

Community Care Access Centres

Community Care Access Centres (CCAC) are the local organizations established by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to provide access to government-funded home and community services and long-term care homes.
CCACs work together, and with physicians, hospital teams and other health care providers to enhance access and co-ordination for people who need care in the community.

They help people to:
• live independently at home
• apply for admission to a long-term care home
CCACs also provide information about local community support service agencies and can link people to these agencies to arrange services.
Anyone can make a referral to a CCAC — an individual requiring service, a family member, caregiver, friend, physician or other health care professional.

To find the nearest Community Care Access Centre near you, visit

Addictions Services

The Drug and Alcohol Registry of Treatment (DART) is a program of ConnexOntario Health Services Information and is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
DART specializes in the provision of information and referral to treatment services related to alcohol and drugs in Ontario. DART operates a toll-free, province-wide telephone service: the Drug and Alcohol Registry of Treatment Information Line (1-800-565-8603), which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
DART’s role is to link members of the general public with treatment resources for themselves or someone they know, and to provide professional callers with information about a range of suitable treatment options tailored to their client's specific needs. DART provides comprehensive, up-to-date status reports on the availability of a wide range of drug and alcohol treatment options, detailed descriptions of the types of treatment services available, and referral and admission procedures. DART staff members search a computerized database that is updated regularly and includes information about the 187 alcohol and/or drug treatment organizations in Ontario providing over 1,200 different programs. Treatment organizations report regularly to DART about available or upcoming treatment spaces.
Addiction services in Ontario may be accessed by contacting the Drug and Alcohol Registry of Treatment at 1-800-565-8603 or visit them online at

Mental Health Services

Mental Health Service Information Ontario (MHSIO) is a province-wide information and referral service providing Ontarians with round-the-clock access to information about mental health services and supports across the province. Service is provided in over 140 languages to consumers, families, service providers and others seeking information about mental health resources.
MHSIO specializes in the provision of information and referral to services/supports related to mental health in Ontario and is designed to link callers with suitable options tailored to their individual needs. MHSIO operates a confidential and anonymous Information Line which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
MHSIO maintains a comprehensive centralized data repository of information about mental health services that is updated regularly and includes information on approximately 300 mental health organizations in Ontario providing over 1,000 different programs.
MHSIO provides comprehensive, up-to-date reports on the wide range of mental health service options, detailed descriptions of the types of services available, and referral and admission procedures.
Mental Health Service Information Ontario can be contacted at 1-866-531-2600 or visit them online at

Distress Centres

Students who are experiencing crisis and require support may contact the Distress Centres located throughout Ontario.
To access the Distress centre near you, please visit them online at

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

Additional medical resources and information is available by contacting the Ministry of Health and Long Term-Care at 1-866-532-3161 or visit them online at

Community & Social Resources

211 provides easy access to community, social, health and related government services in Ontario dial 2-1-1 or visit